Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stop Crying and Start Partying!


Stop Crying and Start Partying!

It was gloomy this morning here in Berrien Springs-lots of clouds hanging over our heads!  But I love Joy!  Joy is essential to get us through life. Nehemiah told God's people who had been sorrowful because of their sin to stop crying and start partying, for "the joy of the Lord is your strength!" (Nehemiah 8:10)  Let me be clear.  Repenting needs to be part of our lifestyle.  But rejoicing follows closely on the heels of repentance.  Could it be we lack joy, because we lack repentance?

This morning as I read Psalm 97 I was challenged to think about what I'm doing to cultivate joy.  Psalm 97:11 read,  "Light is sown for the righteous and joy for the upright in heart."  This passage reminds me God is the one who plants joy in my heart, but I must make sure to cultivate and fertilize that joy.

What cultivates joy in my heart?  Here are some suggestions which help me:

Gratitude (Philippians 4:4-6)
Gazing into the face of God (Psalm 4:6,7)
Surrendering to the Spirit of God (Galatians 5:22)
Trusting God with my trials (Romans 15:13)
Praying and seeing God's hand at work (Philippians 4:4-6; John 16:24)
Following God's path (John 15:9-11)
An eternal perspective (James 1:2, Hebrews 12:2)
Friends (Philippians 4:1 and many more verses)
Family (Proverbs 15:20)

Are you cultivating the joy God has placed in your heart today or are you cultivating gloom?  The weather here is gloomy so I need to intentionally cultivate joy!

What else cultivates joy in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment