Thursday, July 16, 2015

God Gave You Spurs, Now Use Them!


I'm not much for boots or riding, but that doesn't exempt me from using my spurs.    Spurs "motivate" to action.  Usually a cowboy straps on his spurs before mounting his steed, to help direct and motivate his trusted companion to move forward.

In Hebrews 10:24, 25 we are all fitted with spurs and encouraged to use them regularly.  This is the imagery that comes to my mind as I read...

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching. 

When I think of spurs I think of the old westerns where real cowboys strolled into town to the unmistakable tune of their clanging spurs.  I wonder what people hear when they see me coming?  If I am using the gifts God has given me well, they should hear the "clink, clink" of my "spurs" and smile.  I have a couple friends who spur me on ,and I love to see them strolling my way!  I know I will be better off for having spent time with them.

Now, normally we don't think of spurs as comfortable, but they are necessary to motivate movement.  The author of Hebrews calls us cowboys to use our spurs to encourage toward love and good deeds.  On a rare occasion we need to cause a little discomfort to motivate, but always with true love.  Without love spurs become weapons.  But speaking with kindness and care helps others move forward and overcome the spiritual sluggishness which settles into all our hearts.  

Heb 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 


Today someone is struggling and needs to feel your spur of love.  The sin of faithlessness or ingratitude may be settling upon their heart, and they need a trusted companion to come alongside and spur them on to trust God more.  You may be that cowboy!  As the Holy Spirit prompts your heart to make a phone call or drop in on someone or send a text, He may be spurring you on to be an unimaginable encouragement or even to save a life.  You've got spurs, now use them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment